Apps using default Python in Fedora vs. EPEL

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 16:38:54 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> On 28 January 2015 at 03:32, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2015 at 10:50:07PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> >> What if, instead, we were able to add a new macro that let folks
> >> *explicitly* opt in to running in the "system Python", but then define
> >> the recommended spec file usage such that it falls back to Python 2 if
> >> the "system Python" macro isn't defined?
> >>
> > Slavek raises the issue of how we get this into the buildroot.  An idea
> > could be to talk to rel-eng and the other packagers about adding these
> > sorts
> > of system-feature macros to a package in the buildroot.  We could create
> > a new package or add onto an existing one (is epel-release and
> > fedora-release in the buildroot?)  the package would contain a small set of
> > macros that specified certain features about the OS that packagers need to
> > know
> > Then we really could write the conditionals as a feature test instead of
> > a distro version test.
> >
> > One drawback is that we would have to push the macros out to every release
> > that we build for (epel and fedora) otherwise we'd still have to use
> > distro+version  conditionals.
>
> That sounds vaguely analogous to the situation we have in Beaker:
> adding completely new "system features" may require a Beaker server
> update, while enabling and disabling already known features for a
> custom distro is just a configuration setting for that distro in the
> database. Actually switching to that model required updating the base
> templates for every distro we natively support.
>
> The reason we decided that approach was worth the extra up front
> effort was because it meant we just had one place to update in the
> future (the code that handles the calculation of the distro -> feature
> mappings) rather than having to search the templates for all the cases
> where we were switching based on the distro.
>
> I personally think "do it right" (i.e. figuring out how to enable
> feature based rather than version based checks) is the direction we
> should go for Fedora & EPEL, and then Slavek & I can separately tackle
> the challenge of getting key downstreams (i.e. RHEL & CentOS) to go
> along with that change. I'm more optimistic than Slavek is about that,
> as many of the reasons we made the change for the Beaker kickstart
> templates also apply to building for different environments.

I'll try to find out what it'd take to add such a package to epel minimal buildroot and fedora minimal buildroot and we'll see. I actually have one more use case for this and that is the Py3 in EPEL, where having some macros in minimal buildroot would help a lot, too.

I'll try to find out ASAP and post the result here.

Slavek

> Regards,
> Nick.
>
> --