Status update: Python 3 as default on Fedora installs

Miro Hrončok mhroncok at redhat.com
Tue Jul 14 11:19:07 UTC 2015

Hi,
just sharing a bit of information about our effort towards Python 3 as
default in Fedora.

About a week or two ago FESCo approved a System Wide Change for Fedora
23: let's make python3 the only python interpreter on default installs
[1][2].

We are currently aiming to get Python 3 as the only Python interpreter
on Fedora Workstation, Cloud, Atomic host and last but not least, Server.

While the majority of packages required to be ported to Python 3 are
already ready, there are still packages requiring some work.

For Workstation, Cloud and Atomic host, here is the list:

Need porting and/or are currently being ported:
 * abrt
 * audit
 * policycoreutils
 * setroubleshoot
 * system-storage-manager

Require packaging work on Fedora level:
 * iscsi-initiator-utils
 * libtalloc
 * nfs-utils
 * sos
 * atomic
 * docker
 * icfg

For the general idea, see the whole picture (table actually) [3].

I would like to thank all the contributors, who are helping us with
this. We are working on a special Fedora Badge for this Python 3 effort [4].

 [1] https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/1450
 [2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Python_3_as_Default
 [3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Churchyard/python3
 [4] https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-badges/ticket/386