New (optional) python egg dependency generator for RPM

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 14:38:53 UTC 2015

Hello all,

I recently upstreamed some fixes to a new RPM dependency generator
that will be available as an option for distributions to enable. The
new generator uses python .egg data to generate Provides and Requires
in the form of pythonXegg(Y), where X is the Python major version and
Y is the module.

The code for the new generator is available in RPM's GitHub[1]. I've
also made a package in Copr[2] for members of the Python SIG to test
out and provide feedback.

I would greatly appreciate it if the Python SIG would try it out. It's
available for Fedora 22, 23, and rawhide through the Copr.

There is one issue I haven't quite been able to figure out, though.
When being run using Python 3 (Fedora 23+ default), it appears to add
an unversioned "python(abi)" Require to modules on top of the
versioned one. This does not occur when the code is being run in
Python 2 (Fedora 22 default), and I cannot quite figure out why this
is happening.

If anyone has any idea, please let me know, as I would definitely like
this to fix this issue so that it is perfectly functional on both
Python 2 and Python 3.

The Python interpreter being used can be switched in
/usr/lib/rpm/fileattrs/pythoneggs.attr

Best regards,
Neal

[1]: https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/blob/master/scripts/pythoneggs.py