New (optional) python egg dependency generator for RPM

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:06:05 UTC 2015

On 17 November 2015 at 23:25, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As for naming, I'm all ears for a better name, because if the "egg"
> name is going away, I'd rather it not continue to say that.

My suggestions would be either:

    python2dist(name)/python3dist(name)

or:

    python2(name)/python3(name)

The "dist" suffix comes from:

* "distutils", the standard library's software distribution utilities
* the "sdist" name used for uploading source archives to PyPI
* the "-Dist" suffix used in the never-really-adopted metadata 1.2 spec [1]

While dropping the suffix entirely seems like a potentially attractive
option to me, it may also be ambiguous as to whether it's referring to
import package names (eg. "python2(pkg_resources)") or distribution
package names (e.g. "python2(setuptools)").

Cheers,
Nick.

[1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0345/