New (optional) python egg dependency generator for RPM

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:26:52 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 8:34 AM, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

>> On Nov 17, 2015, at 8:25 AM, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is the format inside of the .dist-info directory the same as the older
>> .egg-info and .egg-link directories? If so, it should be easy to add
>> to read that information too.
>
> Currently yes. In the future we’ll probably evolve it and then they’ll drift
> apart. Part of doing that though will be defining a way to determine what
> “version” of standard the directory is currently using (with the current version
> being a not very well defined version 0 or something).

The dependency generator uses pkg_resources (specifically
Distribution, FileMetadata, PathMetadata) to read data in the
.egg-info directory. That should still work with .dist-info, right? If
it does, then I can easily support it to read and parse the data. If
there's something else I have to do, please let me know, so I can add
it.

On Tue, Nov 17, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 November 2015 at 23:25, Neal Gompa <ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As for naming, I'm all ears for a better name, because if the "egg"
>> name is going away, I'd rather it not continue to say that.
>
> My suggestions would be either:
>
>     python2dist(name)/python3dist(name)
>
> or:
>
>     python2(name)/python3(name)
>
> The "dist" suffix comes from:
>
> * "distutils", the standard library's software distribution utilities
> * the "sdist" name used for uploading source archives to PyPI
> * the "-Dist" suffix used in the never-really-adopted metadata 1.2 spec [1]
>
> While dropping the suffix entirely seems like a potentially attractive
> option to me, it may also be ambiguous as to whether it's referring to
> import package names (eg. "python2(pkg_resources)") or distribution
> package names (e.g. "python2(setuptools)").
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> [1] https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0345/

I think I'll go for pythonXdist(Y), as that seems to be the least
ambiguous option. I've made the change in my local code, and I'll
submit it as a PR to rpm as soon as I have confirmation that
pkg_resources works for reading .dist-info.