Upgrading or Replacing AutoQA

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Tue Jul 9 00:18:07 UTC 2013

On Mon, 8 Jul 2013 10:26:01 -0600
Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:

> If we rework the infra, I want to ansible-ize everything. The current
> by-hand method of admin is crazy and way too much work to re-deploy or
> even run updates on. I also want to tweak the db config a bit in the
> hopes that we can get a bit better performance out of autotest in
> production.
>
> I'm going to discuss the possible changes with infra and put together
> a more detailed proposal but wanted to see if there were any
> objections or alternative proposals out there. If you're interested,
> more help would also be appreciated :)

I talked to some infra folks today and went over my notes. There isn't
a whole lot more detail to cover right now, but it sounds like one of
the ways forward is to move our autoqa clients into the infra ansible
repository and manage them that way. Note that we can't move the
autotest masters into infra's repo due to autotest-sever's GWT
dependencies and ResultsDB not being packaged.

They're still working out a system which allows regular sysadmin users
to run ansible playbooks but that is expected in the next couple of
weeks. In the meantime, we can write the playbooks and get stg running
with F18 and F19 hosts. Once we've finished the playbooks and are able
to run playbooks directly from infra's repository, we can merge our
playbooks in.

On the other hand, we can manage the playbooks ourselves and not worry
about infra requirements but honestly, considering the amount of free
time we all have right now I'm all for not making things more
complicated or difficult if we don't have to.

Is anyone else interested in helping ansible-ize the autoqa clients and
re-deploying the infrastructure (assuming that we agree it's a good
idea to do so)?

Tim