Documentation and Docstring Format

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Thu Apr 17 13:59:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 05:31:30 -0400 (EDT)
Josef Skladanka <jskladan at redhat.com> wrote:

> > https://pythonhosted.org/an_example_pypi_project/sphinx.html#auto-directives
> >

> > I'm not suggesting that we drop everything and fix all the
> > docstrings right now but I am suggesting that we start following
> > the sphinx docstring format for new code and fix other-formatted
> > docstrings as we come across them.
> >
> > Any objections?
>
> Well, my only objection is, that the Sphinx format has IMHO the worst
> impact on how docstrings look. Maybe it is just me, but I use help()
> more often than html docs.

I guess that I'm the opposite - I rarely use help() and am more likely
to be looking at the html docs.

Does anyone have an alternate suggestion for docstring format? I think
that having html docs is important but I'm open to other suggestions
that don't involve keeping docs in two places.

Tim