Git repos location

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Thu Jan 23 06:49:03 UTC 2014

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:57:53 -0700
Tim Flink <tflink at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 03:42:51 -0500 (EST)
> Kamil Paral <kparal at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > > Phabricator is capable of hosting repositories but it would
> > > require some reconfiguration and testing. The feature is a newer
> > > addition and I'd want to test it a bit in staging before moving
> > > all of our code there.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts on how soon we might want to explore this? If we go
> > > this route, folks will have to upload their ssh pubkeys to
> > > phabricator because I strongly suspect there's no clean way of
> > > getting that data from FAS (if it's even possible at all).
> >
> > I'd like to have a single location for our projects. If we consider
> > abandoning bitbucket, let's do it ASAP, while we're not followed
> > there yet by many people.
>
> As I've been thinking about it more, my primary concern for using
> phabricator for git hosting is that we'd be self-hosting with a
> relatively new feature.
>
> I'll see if I can get it working in stg today, though. I'm not willing
> to just enable it on production and see what happens but we can
> explore the idea.

It took a bit longer than I wanted it to but I got git repo hosting
working on qadevel-stg and re-populated it with a copy of the
production database (changed the header color to make it obvious which
instance it is, though).

https://phab.qadevel-stg.cloud.fedoraproject.org/

The hosting does work over ssh, but I'm noticing some quirks
 - the ssh urls are displayed incorrectly. This may be fixed in the
   latest upstream (the version we're using is several weeks old) but
   I haven't checked yet. For the dummy repo I created:
   * shown:
      ssh://phab.qadevel-stg.cloud.fedoraproject.org/diffusion/PON/
   * actual thing to clone if you want it to succeed:
      git at phab.qadevel-stg.cloud.fedoraproject.org:diffusion/PON

 - http hosting doesn't work yet. I have some more tweaking to do in
   order to get that functional but it's do-able

 - The repo names are ... weird. I understand why they end up like they
   do, but I was hoping the uris would contain the repo name, not the
   callsign.

The setup is pretty straightforward and doesn't really mess with the
git hosting itself - just injects phabricator into the ssh auth
mechanism in a similar way to how gitolite works. If we did
decide to go this route for code hosting and something did go
horribly wrong, we have backups of the raw repos and it would be
pretty easy to resurrect them outside of phabricator.

Another feature that I haven't looked at much is mirroring - you can
configure repos to push commits to a remote repository. The advantage
here is that we could have the canonical upstream under our control and
have bitbucket/github mirrors that other folks could use to create
diffs from.

Anyhow, feel free to poke at it and leave thoughts.

Tim