Making Phabricator More Public-Friendly

Tim Flink tflink at redhat.com
Thu Jan 30 05:26:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 07:42:30 -0500 (EST)
Kamil Paral <kparal at redhat.com> wrote:

> > I put an example bit on qadevel-stg. It would need fleshing out and
> > probably some more borrowing code from blender's instance (so it's
> > processed as phabricator UI items instead of raw HTML), but you get
> > the idea.
> >
> > Any thoughts on what that page should contain?
>
> My ideas:
> * a welcome text
> * links to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA and
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Tools
> * we could advise people regarding the basic tasks, for example point
> out the Projects side button to see a list of projects tracked in
> Phab and Maniphest button to browse or report bugs
> * also adding an FAQ link pointing here
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Phabricator#FAQ could be nice
>
> Even if we do none of that and leave the page in its basic form, it's
> still far better than the default login-form page :)

As I'm looking at it, I'm wondering if taking another one of blender's
modifications is going to be needed to make this work well.

As is pretty obvious from the stg landing page, the custom html's style
doesn't match everything around it. The blender folks solved this by
tweaking the display code to read and render non-html data from a file,
pretty much the same way that other components/widgets are rendered.

Either way, I agree that it's an improvement and adding stuff would be
great. The only problem is the time required to make all of that happen
and I don't see it as a huge priority right now.

Tim