Documentation Tools

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at redhat.com
Fri Jan 31 03:07:42 UTC 2014

On 01/31/2014 09:55 AM, Tim Flink wrote:
> I have two reasons for wanting to keep taskotron as distro-neutral
> as reasonably possible:
>
> 1. One thing that Kamil said about a year ago now is that there
> are several interesting automation platforms out there but it's a
> shame that they're all really purpose-specific. I agree and see no
> reason to limit taskotron to Fedora from the start - if we can
> sanely make at least the core bits generic, that'll only increase
> the possible user/contributor base going forward.
>
> 2. For me, one of the overarching lessons from autoqa is that
> tight coupling leads to pain, lots of pain. AutoQA doesn't really
> work well for anything but Fedora or outside the production
> infrastructure. While not directly related, I do see a correlation
> between keeping the core bits distro agnostic and not repeating
> some of the problematic parts of autoqa - it forces us to decouple
> some things and isolate the Fedora specific bits.
>
> With this in mind, I propose that we use sphinx and rtd.org for
> taskotron and self-hosted dexy for the less structured qadevel
> landing page which points to various docs and resources.
>
> Thoughts?

This sounds like a good plan to me - for building *part* of a site,
Sphinx is fine, and as documentation for a particular project, it's
great. However, it's not a great overall site construction system -
it's designed to document a *thing*, not build a website.

For beaker-project.org, we currently just have some custom HTML pages
to stitch together a few different Sphinx projects and other
miscellaneous bits and pieces. For new subprojects (like splitting out
the beah and beaker-system-scan docs), we're not even doing that -
we're just hosting them on ReadTheDocs and linking to them there.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. If you haven't already, you may want to look at some of the stuff
the OpenStack CI folks are doing with Zuul and Gearman. While they're
not an alternative in general, some of the trigger and action plugin
aspects of Zuul may also be relevant to Taskotron.

- --
Nick Coghlan
Red Hat Hosted & Shared Services
Software Engineering & Development, Brisbane

Testing Solutions Team Lead
Beaker Development Lead (http://beaker-project.org/)