TeX Live 2008/9 packaging and you

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Wed Jun 3 16:46:56 UTC 2009

Hi spot,

On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 12:34:51PM -0400, Tom spot Callaway wrote:
> On 06/02/2009 07:27 AM, Jindrich Novy wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > sorry for long mail. I thought it's a good idea to catch up with you
> > guys before I update to the new TeX Live in rawhide and discuss possible
> > problems. To make really long story short, the new TeX Live comes with
> > a huge set of subpackages (about 4000) so what I want to ask you if it
> > will just slow down yum and general updating terribly or is it
> > generally acceptable? (considering the metadata size growth?)
>
> Jindrich,
>
> We need to do a license audit here, top to bottom. I know there will be
> stuff we will need to remove for legal reasons.

It is not that hard as it looks like actually. Upstream metadata
contains a license code (like lppl, artistic2, etc.) for each package  so
those with unaccepable license could just go away.

Good thing is that we needn't to do that manually :)

All available license codes are:

        {"gpl", LIC_GPL},
        {"lppl", LIC_LPPL},
        {"other-free", LIC_OTHER_FREE},
        {"pd", LIC_PD},
        {"noinfo", LIC_NOINFO},
        {"lgpl", LIC_LGPL},
        {"gfsl", LIC_GFSL},
        {"bsd", LIC_BSD},
        {"knuth", LIC_KNUTH},
        {"unknown", LIC_UNKNOWN},
        {"gfl", LIC_GFL},
        {"artistic2", LIC_ARTISTIC2},
        {"fdl", LIC_FDL},
        {"collection", LIC_COLLECTION},
        {"artistic", LIC_ARTISTIC},
        {"other", LIC_OTHER},
        {"ofl", LIC_OFL},
        {"apache2", LIC_APACHE2},
        {"nosource", LIC_NOSOURCE},

so I can modify the spec file generator to remove all upstream packages
with unacceptable licenses automatically.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/