Fwd: F13 Schedule Proposal--please RESPOND

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Nov 12 22:45:14 UTC 2009

On 11/12/2009 11:14 AM, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> John Poelstra (poelstra at redhat.com) said:
>> For the past couple of releases there was been two weeks between the
>> freeze date and the public release date. We need two weeks to
>> include a "Test Compose"--granted I don't believe we were able to
>> create any of the Test Composes on time (something we should examine
>> when creating the F13 schedule).
>
> I don't understand this reasoning. The desired work flow, as I understand
> it, is something like:
>
> 1) Freeze
>
> 2) Are there blockers?
>    ->  No!
>      ->  Party!
>        ->  make Alpha/Beta/Release candidate compose
>         ->  test, etc.
>    ->  Yes!
>      ->  Bummer.
>        ->  make a test compose
>         ->  test, fix, etc.
>           ->  goto 2)
>
> A test compose only exists when we know we still have blockers to solve.
> Otherwise it's an alpha/beta/release candidate. Therefore, we shouldn't be
> adjusting the freeze schedule to add time for a 'test compose'.
>
> We can certainly have additional test composes outside of the freeze for QE
> to look at, but I don't know that they're events that affect the schedule
> duration as much as they are simply point events in the schedule.

What you describe above is NOT what we scheduled or attempted for Fedora
12.  We intentionally scheduled test composes before the freeze (as
Jesse is requesting for the Fedora 13 schedule)
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-12/f-12-releng-tasks.html
--see task #13 for Alpha
--see task #52 for Beta

I did not make this up on my own, we all talked this in the scheduling
meeting we held on FedoraTalk. :)

The difficulty we had in Fedora 12 was that we weren't able to get solid
Test Composes in most cases until right before the Freeze (Monday)...
not the prior Wednesday as scheduled.  I'm calling this out NOT to fault
anyone, but to note what actually happened.

John