Fedora 13 Schedule Discussion Take II

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Sat Nov 14 00:00:27 UTC 2009

I realize there hasn't been general consensus yet on what we want, but I
took another stab at things trying to accommodate everyone as much as
possible.  I created two new scenarios to see if there are parts or
wholes that resonate with people.  Constructive feedback such as what to
change and where the adjustment points should be is helpful.

== SCENARIO I ==
  --include Test Composes before freezes (desired by Jesse & James)
  --shrink Alpha testing period to 3 weeks (from 4)
    --I realize Bill prefers 2 here, but considering this is the first
test release (not the second as in all the releases before Fedora 12), 2
weeks seems awfully short, plus it is just that much sooner that you
have to create another public release.
   --by shrinking Alpha testing period by one week (now three weeks),
add that time to development and feature creation duration at the front
of the schedule.
   --hold beta testing period at three weeks
o Fancy gantt chart pdf:
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13-draft/fedora-13-scenario1.pdf
o Boring html version:
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13-draft/f-13-scenario-1.html

== SCENARIO II ==
   --same as Scenario I with exception below
   --reduce beta testing period to two weeks and add extra week to
development and feature creation duration at the front of the schedule.
o Fancy gantt chart pdf:
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13-draft/fedora-13-scenario2.pdf
o Boring html version:
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13-draft/f-13-scenario-2.html

== NOTE ==
I realize that the "alpha/beta testing periods" are unusual in the
Fedora context with rawhide continuing to move and new testing content
being made frequently.  I also realize this potentially changes with the
new rawhide proposal, but since it is not implemented yet I think it is
too early to completely rely on it as the foundation of these schedules.
  I do think looking at the testing duration is helpful to bracket a
period of time that these official test releases are available for wider
consumption and testing and when releng has a break from creating images.

Fedora 13 in the context of other releases
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-13-draft/f8-f13-schedule-analysis-v2.ods

== QUESTIONS ==
1) James--how much time does QA believe we need for public testing of
Alpha and Beta?

2) What other scenarios can I create to help us get to the final one?

John