F20 image building plan and decisions we need to make

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jul 12 21:25:43 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 03:58:17PM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > 1. We need a process for non-scratch builds of AMIs
> >    a. We'll get the arch/name bug fixed, but in the meantime, I
> > suggest we go ahead with the uglier approach of creating a package in
> > koji with the arch in the name, as a temporary workaround.
> As I have said to you privately I don't find that acceptable. the fix
> should be fairly trivial.

If we can land the fix right now, let's do it. If it's going to take another
week or so, does it really hurt to have the hack there temporarily until
that time?

> >    b. We need to configure the expiration policy for these builds. I
> > suggest we choose three weeks for weekly builds, or one week for
> > nightlies. Alpha, Beta, and Final release images should be kept
> > forever. If that means we need different koji packages for the
> > automatically-generated weekly or nightly builds, let's do that.
> we just need to work out the right koji-gc policy to write.

Okay. Let's do it. Does the above (3 weeks for the automatic weekly builds)
sound right?

> > 2. We need a place to run the cron job that runs the scripted
> > automatic builds
> >    - and someone to put those scripts into that place
> it needs to all be put into ansible and credentials in ansible-private
> the host would likely be releng03.phx2.fedoraproject.org

Okay, cool. Who can take care of that? Andrew has (or will make / finalize)
the scripts and put them into

  https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/cloud-image-service.git/

What are the next steps to get them live?

> > 3. We need a system to run the uploader service -- ideally a new
> > isolated system for security, as this will need to hold EC2
> > credentials and have write access to alt.fedoraproject.org.
> it would also be releng03.phx2.fedoraproject.org

Is that adequate for the security requirements? What else does that system
do? Are we sure it's not better to have it as a separate system?

> > 4. We need to finalize the Oz/ImageFactory integration.
> >    - timeline, work to be done?
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/20/Schedule
> we are due to branch F20 on August 6th I would say that is the deadline,
> that will give us time to test and fix any issues before Alpha Change
> deadline of August 20th, the fedora 20 schedule is insanely tight
> however you have had since we branched off f19 to work on things.

Yes, it's my understanding that the work Jay has is basically ready to go. I
just want to plan out exactly _how_ it's going to go.

> >    - how to deal with possible oz bugs and fixes in production
> We deal with them as we hit them, its a bit hard to plan

Okay, I can live with that.