Fedora Projects Tooling Meeting

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jun 29 18:19:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 12:11:16PM -0500, Adam Miller wrote:
> > OR, do we want to do this entirely differently, with one "release
> > engineering" project and all releng tasks for all of everything
> This would be my preference but I'm not sure if everyone would agree.
> On my old team we would use "tags" to define if a card belongs to a
> project and just prepend it to the title of the card. So something
> like "[TwoWeekAtomic] Task 1" for example, and then there would be a
> project card with an explanation of the project and a list of tasks
> (with links to cards associated with tasks). That would allow us to
> quickly see project status and track related tasks on the board.
> Just a suggestion. I'm open to alternatives though.

I wish we could have both views at once. I think the "all work on one
wall" approach works well for a single team dedicated to that work, but
I'm not sure how to track something like this with it.

A) There's plenty of work that will be not relevant to someone invested
in this change but not releng overall. I don't see an easy way in Taiga
to filter the Kanban board by tags, making hard to see the state of
_this_ project.

B) On the other side, there's plenty of work in this project that isn't
release engineering. Where does that work get tracked? Say, for
example, someone from Websites, or perhaps (wholly theoretically) a UX
designer from Atomic who is making a first contribution to Fedora
through this project — where does their work get tracked?

If the filtering were better (and perhaps I'm just missing something)
we could solve B by declaring that we're going to track the change as a
Rel-Eng project, and that everyone involved should see themselves
through that lens. For these two changes (Two-Week Atomic, Layered
Images) that might just be okay — perhaps even with the lack of
filtering. But does it scale to _all_ of the Changes?

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>