FAD Goals and deliverables

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue May 19 14:47:00 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 2:17 PM, Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org> wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2015, at 02:28 PM, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
>
>> 2) integrated ability to make atomic installer and pxe to live in pungi
>
> Downstream Atomic operates on an asynchronous schedule, so there
> are going to be few times when we actually want to generate two installers
> and trees/etc simultaneously.

Semantics, surely that's a matter of running the tools with the
appropriate options once we have the core functionality. It just needs
to be flexible to be able to produce as many as needed.

> The CentOS Atomic SIG is also planning to do regular 4 week releases,
> again asynchronously of the CentOS Core rebuild.
>
> We would also like the ability to do faster and more regular releases
> of Fedora Atomic Host - a 2 week interval has been discussed.
>
> That doesn't mean that the code can't be shared - but it does make
> the "release mainline and Atomic together as one big blob" is an
> unusual case.
>
> Basically, downstream is already releasing more frequently, and
> some of our competitors are moving *significantly* faster than 6 months.
>
> So there may be a more fundamental decision to make about whether
> Atomic should simply be part of that "big set" release at all.
>
>> 10) port pungi to dnf
>> 11) make headway and plan to port to python 3
>
> Won't these break the ability of downstreams like CentOS to consume
> the tools?

Well we need to go to these tools at some point, dnf vs yum should be
configurable, and we already have tools that do dual python 2/3.