[Fedora Robotics] mighty influence of the f

Bledsaw Muldrew esculent at miascor.com
Tue Sep 21 04:59:31 UTC 2010

Hern youth is there who has not his 'chances'?--become
garrison-soldiers for life. We love
learning, culture, independence, progress. Year by year sees noble
schools rising among us--schools in which every man's
son may obtain an excellent free education,

and qualify himself for any position in any society. Year by year

sees our manufacturers demanding fresh labor, more talent,
more youth, more energy, and with them sees the condition of the
mechanic becoming more and more ameliorated. Year by year finds the
public lecture and library more used by the workman, and the
masses rising little by little above their post. In short, we belong
to a community
whose conditions are those of refinement and of peace; ours is an
advanced stage of civilization, and it is our duty to maintain this
advance. 'The South' cares nothing for all these things. It 'loathes
the
very name of free schools,' despises
industry and ingenuity, scorns the mechanic, and is altogether, as a
community, behind us: as a merely agricultural
and would-be merely military government, must essentially be.
There are predicaments when the shrewd brute
and cunning brigand has his superior
at a disadvantage. Let the South prolong this contest till its
military social
system acquires sufficient strength, and it will drag us down to its
own wretched lord-and-serf
level. 'To its level!'
rather let us say beneath it; yes,