[Fedora Robotics] ROS Fuerte

Rich Mattes richmattes at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 03:11:39 UTC 2012

On 06/02/2012 12:24 AM, Rich Mattes wrote:
> On 06/01/2012 01:28 PM, Tom Callaway wrote:
>> I'm making progress again now that I have the ROS fork of PCL packaged
>> up. My initial pass is to build all the deps necessary for the NXT stack
>> (as that is my first test platform).
>>
>> I'm hanging out in #fedora-robotics if you want to talk about stuff
>> there. :)
>>
>> ~tom
>
> I've been playing with packaging stacks based off of your example, and
> I got three more or less done.  I've edited the wiki with which
> packages are completed and posted thus far[1], we can add stacks to it
> as we go so we don't duplicate effort.
>
> Rich
>
> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Robotics/ROS_Packaging

I've been following up with a few of the problem stacks over the past
week or so.  It looks like the next release of PCL will have the bits
that the wg-pcl repository includes and the main source distribution
doesn't[1].  According to the gazebo mailing list, the next release of
gazebo should follow suit and the ROS stack should depend on the source
distribution of gazebo and not a special patched version that is only
available from rosinstall or the wg ubuntu repositories[2].

ROS groovy is due out around October[3], which is after the f18 feature
freeze, but I think we should make ROS an f18 feature and shoot for
getting fuerte included for the f18 release.  I'm willing to handle the
feature page and contribute to package submission, patching, and
reviewing this summer if everyone thinks this is a workable goal.

Rich

[1] http://dev.pointclouds.org/issues/699
[2] http://kforge.ros.org/pipermail/gazebo-list/2012-June/004011.html
[3] http://www.ros.org/wiki/groovy/Planning