[Fedora Robotics] The rosdep package

Rich Mattes richmattes at gmail.com
Mon Mar 18 23:12:21 UTC 2013

On 03/15/2013 11:50 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> This might just be a late night brain fart, but I just thought of it
> now: in the rosdep package that we worked on, we've kept the "conf"
> files in /etc using the ghost etc. macro that rosdep will download. I
> was just wondering if they are really conf files and should go
> into /etc, or whether they're application data (default.list) and should
> maybe go into /var/lib or something? I mean, the user isn't expected to
> modify/customize these files, is he?
>
> The sources_list.py file in the tar also refers to a cache directory,
> which could go into /var/cache?

Hi Ankur,

I put them in /etc because that's how upstream does it, but you're
right, it is something that should probably live in /var/cache.  I'm
pretty sure it doesn't get edited by users, so we should remove it from
/etc.

I'll look into that when I apply the python-pip patch, hopefully it
shouldn't be too hard to change.  I'll also upgrade python-rosdep to the
latest release while I'm looking at it.

Rich