[Fedora Robotics] The rosdep package

Rich Mattes richmattes at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 00:32:39 UTC 2013

On 03/18/2013 08:10 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> Hi Rich,
>
> I think a patch like this[1] should be enough. If it works, I could file
> a ticket with upstream requesting them to use /var/cache instead
> of /etc/ in accordance with the FHS. 'man hier' should be a reason
> compelling enough :)
Yeah, python-rosdep is usually installed system-wide via pypi, so it
shouldn't mess with parallel installation of ros distros in /opt/ros.  I
did check the default sources.list, and it technically is user-editable,
even if it doesn't happen very often.  I'm still leaning towards
thinking it is more like a repo listing (akin to yum's repodata in
/var/cache/yum) than a repository definition (akin to
/etc/yum/repos.d/*.repo), but you could make the case either way.

> I'm not quite sure how the package update will be handled though. We'll
> still have to carry /etc/ in the package list so it can be removed on
> update?
I think maybe we should run this by upstream before making the change.
It goes against a lot of documentation currently on the web about rosdep
issues.  I'll go ahead and update to 0.10.14 with your python-pip patch
in the meantime.  Do you want to file an issue or should I?

Rich