Fwd: Re: ruby 1.8.7.x for rawhide

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Fri Jun 18 19:48:15 UTC 2010

Hello, Mohammed

Mohammed Morsi wrote, at 06/19/2010 02:03 AM +9:00:
> Sorry, it doesn't seem like my original response made it through (at least not according to the ruby-sig archive
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/ruby-sig/2010-June/thread.html). Resending.
>
> -Mo

Thank you for your another work for ruby 1.8.7. Hopely we can merge
our efforts altogether and import ruby187 to (at least) rawhide
soon.

By the way I just looked at your srpm (on your blog) quickly and also tried binary
rpms rebuilt your srpm quickly.
I thinking defining %ruby_sitearch or so is preferred because we already use
such macros in ruby related srpms. For rawhide I think we should create
/etc/rpm/macros.ruby18 . However, with ruby rpms rebuilt from your srpm,
ruby returns:
mock-chroot> ruby -v
mock-chroot> ruby -e 'puts $:'

/usr/lib/ruby//site_ruby
/usr/lib/ruby//site_ruby
/usr/lib/ruby//site_ruby

.
mock-chroot> ruby -rrbconfig -e 'puts Config::CONFIG["sitearchdir"]'
ruby: no such file to load -- rbconfig (LoadError)

On the other hand, from rpms rebuilt from my srpm:
mock-chroot> ruby -v
mock-chroot> ruby -e 'puts $:'
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby
/usr/lib/site_ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux
/usr/lib/site_ruby
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby/1.8/i386-linux
/usr/lib/ruby/vendor_ruby
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-linux
.
mock-chroot> ruby -rrbconfig -e 'puts Config::CONFIG["sitearchdir"]'
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux

Also, currently we usually define %ruby_sitearch as
$(ruby -rrbconfig -e 'puts Config::CONFIG["sitearchdir"]'), which currently
returns as above (i.e. /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-linux), and
I think we shouldn't change these paths with the update from 1.8.6.x to
1.8.7.x
(when importing 1.9.x ruby in parallel, I think we can consider to change these
  paths in ruby 1.9).

> Just fyi, we're also going to need this patch
>
>     http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/repositories/diff/ruby-187?rev=27408
>
> To get rails 3.0.0 working against Ruby 1.8.7p149
>
>     http://redmine.ruby-lang.org/issues/show/2557

Well, I just git-cloned rails.git and it seems that
unicode_database.rb can no longer be found in rails tree.
Instead I found unicode_database.rb in activesupport 2.3.5 but
it won't cause crash even with my 1.8.7.249 srpm - maybe because
I use "-fno-strict-aliasing". However anyway I applied this patch
and it can be found on:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/scratch/mtasaka/task_2258338/
(currently only rebuilt for rawhide, however srpm can also be found
  here)

> I'm currently working on bundling Rails 3 into rpms and creating a
> Fedora based virtual appliance w/ Ruby 1.8.7 on it, similar to the one I
> released w/ Ruby 1.9, to make testing software against multiple versions
> of Ruby on Fedora as simple as possible. After that I'm planning on
> setting up an automated test system to test the various Ruby packages we
> have in Fedora against each appliance.

Thank you!

> Stay tuned for updtes.
>
>    -Mo