Fwd: Re: ruby 1.8.7.x for rawhide

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Thu Jun 24 21:04:26 UTC 2010

Mohammed Morsi wrote:
> On 06/24/2010 01:48 PM, Jim Meyering wrote:
>> Mamoru Tasaka wrote:

>>> By the way it seems 1.8.7p299 was released yesterday so
>>> please consider to upgrade.
>>>
>> Thanks for the heads-up.  Good timing.
>> It appears that removing two patches is sufficient to adapt:
>>
>>    * remove patch30, aka ruby-1.8.7-openssl-1.0.patch; subsumed
>
> Are we absolutely sure we don't need this? Looking at the patch, yes
> it seems the changes to ossl.c and ossl_pkcs7.c made it into the
> upstream codebase, but the changes to ossl_ssl.c are still missing.

Hi Mo,

Those change can only influence whether or how (with or without
warnings) the code compiles.  At least part of that patch is
present in the new ossl.h, with this definition:

  #if OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER >= 0x10000000L
  #define STACK _STACK
  #endif

the other change provided by that patch is

  #if OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER >= 0x10000000L
  # define OSSL_MORE_CONST const
  #else
  # define OSSL_MORE_CONST
  #endif

  [along with 3 uses of OSSL_MORE_CONST]

And since omitting that change does not cause a build failure
we should be fine.  At worst, it's required only when building
against an older version of openssl than the one in F13.