Removing ruby-activerecord

Mohammed Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Tue Jun 29 01:25:22 UTC 2010

On 06/28/2010 05:28 PM, David Lutterkort wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 16:07 -0400, Mohammed Morsi wrote:
>
>> Hey, so I spent far too long over the last few days trying to get
>> activerecord v2.3.8 to compile against Fedora before I realized that I
>> was basing my attempt off the wrong package.
>>
>> Specifically, we have two activerecord rpms in Fedora, ruby-activerecord
>> and rubygem-activerecord
>>
>> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/ruby-activerecord/
>> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/rpms/rubygem-activerecord/
>>
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/ruby-activerecord
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/rubygem-activerecord
>>

>> Obviously, conforming to standards, rubygem-activerecord is the way to
>> go, and I can't figure out why we are keeping ruby-activerecord around,
>> especially since its horribly out of date (pulling version 2.0.1, the
>> package itself has not been updated since 2007).
>>
>> Can we orphan / remove ruby-activerecord all together?
>>
> Since nobody's been complaining, I think the answer is yes. Feel free to
> nuke it (together with ruby-activesupport)
>
> David

So there are a couple of things that need tbd to retire a package, and I
believe only the package owner (you in both cases David) can do so.

We probably are set with just retiring the package in devel / rawhide,
we can do so in the F13 and F12 branches as well if we want, but I don't
think it's necessary.

In any case the procedure to do so is here
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/PackageEndOfLife ,
particularily we need to

   - add a file called 'dead.package' to the devel branch in cvs

   - remove all other files from the devel branch in cvs

   - mark the package as retired via pkgdb
        https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/ruby-activerecord
        https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/ruby-activesupport

   - file a ticket w/ rel-eng to block the package from further updates
         https://fedorahosted.org/rel-eng/newticket

Once again, with the exception of the last, I believe the package owner
is the only person who can retire a package, else I'd be more than
willing to do so.

   -Mo