FUDCon:Milan 2011 - Ruby SIG meeting

Darryl L. Pierce dpierce at redhat.com
Thu Sep 22 17:37:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 03:02:10PM -0400, Mo Morsi wrote:
> > This is a small part of what I mention above. One of the things we
> > discussed was a complete separation of things like specific versions of
> > Rails (and other gems) from version of Fedora. IOW, why should F14 be
> > Rails 3.1? Why not let us run Fedora 17 with whatever version of Rails
> > we choose?
> >

> Not sure if I'm following, you can always gem install any version of any
> gem you choose. We are talking about the single supported stack in Fedora.

I'm talking about completely separating Ruby gems from Fedora. So, for
example, installing Fedora XX won't require rubygem-rails yy.xx.
Insteadl, _all_ Ruby gems would be kept in a separate, optional yum
repository. Then you could maintain the gems separately.

So if you're app requires Rails 2.3.11 and farkle 3.1, even though those
aren't the latest, then you could install them without having to hunt
down, grab and install the RPMs (and then do the same for all
dependencies) manually. The one repositoryw ould have 2.3.8, 2.3.11,
3.0.0, 3.1.0, etc. and all dependent versions available.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/