#5463: Koji tag for Ruby 2.0.0 / JRuby 1.7

Bohuslav Kabrda bkabrda at redhat.com
Thu Feb 21 08:17:31 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> Vít Ondruch wrote, at 02/21/2013 01:03 AM +9:00:
> > Hi everybody,
> >
> > We obtained side tag for Ruby 2.0.0 rebuild. So these are steps
> > which will follow:
> >
> > 1) Build rubypick
> > 2) Merge my ruby-2.0 branch into master, update to the latest
> > revision available in ruby_2_0_0 branch. I would like to ask you
> > for a review of the spec. There are not all patches, namely the
> > webrick test suite failure [1] (on the other hand, I did not met
> > this issue recently).
> > 3) Bootstrap RSpec
> > 4) Bootstrap other test frameworks
> > 5) Build all other libraries.
>
> Also, while
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Ruby_2.0.0
> says "Requires rebuilding numerous packages that depend on ruby.
> All these packages have to be updated to support new virtual
> provides.",
> the following page
> https://github.com/jruby/jruby/wiki/C-Extension-Alternatives
> says jruby does not support C extensions at all and lots of
> rubygems packages and ruby-based GUI programs contain / use
> C extensions. Would you make it clear how to package these?

Packaging these for MRI will stay the way it is (except for the general change in requiring ruby(release) instead of ruby(abi)).
Packaging for JRuby hasn't been sorted out yet completely, but here are the most important points:
- I don't consider packaging C extensions for JRuby supportable, so libraries with C extensions shouldn't be packaged for JRuby at all.
- Platform independent gems are shared between MRI and JRuby.
- There are currently no guidelines for packaging JRuby extension gems, so these won't reach F19. The target of creating these guidelines is F20.

Does that answer your questions?
Slavek.

--
Regards,