Fedora 14/Rawhide rebuild status

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Fri Jun 11 06:26:29 UTC 2010

Hello,

during the last 2 weeks a mass rebuild was run that should catch the
state of rawhide on primary arches. After some discussion it was decided
to build the next to last N-V-R of every package (in fact for F<14 the
latest one was built because next build can be achieved with simply
tagging in devel branch and rebuilding, no release bumping or other
change needed) and let koji-shadow to build the latest one. The rebuild
was driven by my script exploiting the koji CLI and in the meantime
Dennis Gilmore wrote a new tool doing the same works that uses koji API
and is more effective. Other secondary arches will profit from it too.
It's being used now when the main broken/missing build dependencies are
being fixed and before koji-shadow can be started.

Logs of processed packages, submitted builds and their results with
reasons of failure are available from
http://fedora.danny.cz/s390/rebuild/

Few issues were noticed during the rebuild
- the resources allocated to the builders are limited and can make the
builders unresponsive (externally eg. they don't respond to pings) and
in my opinion this leads to
-- connection timeout when downloading the packages for the buildroots
(the build gets requeued)
-- the builder daemon forgets to connect to the hub when the network is
fully working again and must be restarted, it won't accept any new jobs
otherwise
-- I limited the number of concurrently running jobs in builders to 2
and it almost eliminated the timeouts during downloading, by tuning the
maxjobs and capacity values we could optimise the builder performance

- disk space on the hub will be reconfigured because due a bug in koji
all available space was exhausted and this also showed the storage
configuration is not optimal for increased disk space requirements when
we are building for both 64 and 32 bits

		Dan