pipefs AVC

Dominick Grift domg472 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 12:17:15 UTC 2010

On 08/29/2010 01:45 PM, Mr Dash Four wrote:

>> its a fifo_file on device pipefs with name/path: pipe:[11951]
>>
>> This type of internal communication is very common. We use the following
>> policy for this:
>>
>> allow voip_sandbox_t self:fifo_file rw_fifo_file_perms;
>>
> Is 'rw_fifo_file_perms' custom-defined somewhere?
>
> All I can see on the fifo_file is { append create execute getattr ioctl
> link lock mounton quotaon read relabelfrom relabelto rename setattr
> swapon unlink write }, of which, 'read' and 'write' are the relevant
> ones. If I do 'allow voip_sandbox_t self:fifo_file { read write }' would
> that be the same thing or am I missing something?

http://oss.tresys.com/projects/refpolicy/browser/policy/support/obj_perm_sets.spt

line 241:

define(`rw_fifo_file_perms',`{ getattr open read write append ioctl lock }')

Basically a set of common permissions to read and write fifo files. Not
quite the same as just  { read write } but not too excessive either.

I always use "macros" where ever possible that will make policy
maintenance much easier.