selinux broke httpd: libxml2.so.2: failed to map segment from shared object: Permission denied

Aleksey Tsalolikhin atsaloli.tech at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 02:57:53 UTC 2010

Hi.  httpd used to work but now does not start up.

Error message:

    Starting httpd: Syntax error on line X of /etc/httpd/conf.d/php.conf:
    Cannot load /etc/httpd/modules/libphp5.so into server:
libxml2.so.2: failed to map segment from shared object: Permission
denied

I can start httpd if I turn off SElinux, but I want to figure this out
and re-enable
SELinux.

SElinux labels on libxml.so.2.6.26 are OK ( system_u:object_r:lib_t )
and "restorecon -n libxml.so.2.6.26" does not return anything so the
labels match default.  (libxml.so.2 is a symlink to 2.6.26)

No recent AVC denied entries in /var/log/audit/audit.log or
/var/log/messages. (One did not get logged when I tried to start httpd
and failed.)

I googled the above error message but all I could find were web pages in Chinese
advising to run restorecon on libxml2.so file or turn off SElinux.

Any suggestions on how to investigate this?

Thanks,
Aleksey