selinux policy UBAC question

Roberto Sassu roberto.sassu at polito.it
Mon Oct 25 15:06:05 UTC 2010

On Monday, October 25, 2010 04:27:22 pm Dominick Grift wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 02:45:54PM +0200, Roberto Sassu wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > i'm using the selinux policy shipped with Fedora 13 and UBAC turned on.
> > I removed the unconfined package and i noted the unconfined_t domain with
> > unconfined_u user is unable to access a file with another selinux user.
> > I tried to build a custom module which contains the line:
> >
> > ubac_process_exempt(unconfined_t)
>
> like it says this only exempts the callers access to processes
>
> in the sysadm module this is added:
>
> ubac_process_exempt(sysadm_t)
> ubac_file_exempt(sysadm_t)
> ubac_fd_exempt(sysadm_t)
>
> That should pretty much exempt the caller.
> Note though that ubac has issues, i am not sure how much issues in fedora but in normal refpolicy the *_admins do not work because you want to start services as system_u else unpriv users wont be ableto access resources. There is no way to change to system_u unless i guess you use runcon.

I'm using the UBAC feature in order to identify the combination of user/program that is allowed to acces a specific label. UBAC permits to implement this access control model by
using the policy for the user_t domain and assigning a selinux user to each user in the platform.
My target is to have an usable system and it seems that the ubac is not yet ready to be used in desktop platforms.
Another solution is to create different user domains by using the proper template. There are other alternatives in order to implement this access control model?
Thanks.