iptables match based on source security context?

Christoph A. casmls at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 18:50:47 UTC 2011

On 04/15/2011 06:38 PM, Mark Montague wrote:
>  On April 15, 2011 12:16 , "Christoph A." <casmls at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'd like to redirect traffic (for transparent proxying) coming from a
>> program running in a sandbox_net_t (or sandbox_web_t) sandbox, but as
>> far as I've seen there is no possibility to match/mark packets based on
>> there local security context origin.
>
> iptables rules that match packets based on their security contexts is a
> bad idea for several reasons.  For a discussion of these reasons, a list
> of alternative resources, examples, and a netfilter module that will do
> what you're asking for if you decide to ignore the reasons why this is
> bad and do it anyway, see https://github.com/markmont/xt_selinux

Thanks for the URL. I'll use xt_selinux only if there is no other way.

> If at all possible, use the advice Dan already sent:
>> I am not sure about proxying, but you can force all packets from the
>> sandbox to go to a proxy server and block them if they tried to go
>> direct.

How would I force the redirect without xt_selinux?

The rule would look like this:
iptables -t nat -A OUTPUT [-needed match criteria-] -j REDIRECT
--to-ports 12345
the only missing part is the match criteria.

(by "redirect traffic" I meant '-j REDIRECT')