Suggestion on autorelabel

Bob Gustafson bobgus at rcn.com
Wed Feb 1 14:56:42 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-02-01 at 09:02 -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 01/31/2012 05:06 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > Y'know, folks, fsck -c gives you a clue that not only is it
> > running, but a vague feel for how much longer it'll be.
> > .autorelabel, esp with several 2TB drives in a system, gives
> > screens and screens and screens of asterisks, with no clue if it'll
> > *ever* finish (which matters, when I'm going to be leaving soon,
> > and it needs to be up for an overnight backup....)
> >
> > mark

> Give me a mechanism to know how many files are on the file system and
> I might be able to give you an idea.
>
> Basically this is doing  a
>
> find /
>
> I don't think there is a way to know how many files are left.
> --

I was also troubled by the 'endless' stream of asterisks.

Perhaps some sort of heuristic - like disk size(s) divided by 'average'
file size. Also don't know the value of one asterisk - is it 100 files?

A few more experiments would give something that would be +- 30% This
would be better than nothing.

Bob G