Backups with rsync totally broken in Fedora 18

David Highley dhighley at highley-recommended.com
Fri Jan 18 15:20:30 UTC 2013

Upgraded a test box to Fedora 18 and have tried to get rsync backups to
it working. Looked at many discussions about backing up in a selinux
environment and all discussions seemed to be incomplete.

Most indicate you should not keep selinux labels, but none of those
discussion indicate what options to change. After working on a thousand
line policy file I'm beginning to think you just want to completely turn
off any audit of the rsync domain.

Is this how we should approach backups? If you do not preserve selinux
labels what should the backup location get labeled to?

I'm surprised as long as selinux has been in use that a template with
details has not been defined for this. By the way I had just submitted
an enhancement bug report for rsync with examples of getting it to
function with systemd control.