SELinux and SGID

Douglas Brown d46.brown at student.qut.edu.au
Sat Mar 2 07:06:11 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I have a RHEL 6.3 machine enforcing the mls policy. When I try to set the SGID bit on a folder with with `chmod g+s folder_name`, the command's exit code is 0; nothing is logged in /var/log/messages or /var/log/audit/audit.log; but the bit isn't actually set. If I change to permissive mode with `setenforce 0`, it then works.

Maybe this is by design, but why the command would succeed whilst failing to actually set the bit is odd. Should I submit a bug, or can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Doug