SELinux Development yum group proposal

Miroslav Grepl mgrepl at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 06:23:36 UTC 2014

On 07/14/2014 04:46 PM, Dominick Grift wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-07-11 at 10:40 +0200, Lukas Zapletal wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I think for newcomers it is sometimes difficult to find the packages to
>> install if they want to use some tools. The relevant packages are AFAIK:
>> selinux-policy, audit, libselinux-utils, setools, setools-console,
>> policycoreutils-python, setroubleshoot and maybe few others.
>>
>> The most confusing is in my humble opinion semanage tool which is
>> present in policycoreutils-python. With image deployment which is
>> popular in infrastructure clouds, administrators need to deal with
>> minimum OS installs very often and some tools are usually missing in
>> RHEL/Fedora. And they are not finding them.
>>
>> Thus I propose to create new yum group SELinux Development that would
>> help installing these tools all in once. And then spreading the word.
>> What folks think about this?
>>
> Probably best to skip the yum group idea and go straight through to the
> spreading the word phase.
>
> You see none of the packages you described are (or have to be) really
> required.
>
> Chances are that you do not want those on a minimal system. You will
> probably want to keep things minimal.
>
> Even then, a yum group idea would still not be optimal because not all
> packages are always useful.
>
> RPM dependencies will take care of pulling the requirements per package.

I agree with Dominick. Basically we want to split them to more packages
to have a minimal install. Maybe a blog about tools would be helpful.

Btw.

$ man selinux
.
..
SEE ALSO
        booleans(8), setsebool(8), sepolicy(8),
system-config-selinux(8), togglesebool(8),
        restorecon(8), fixfiles(8), setfiles(8), semanage(8), sepolicy(8)

$ yum search <tool>

We probably would have also seinfo(8), sesearch(8) in this list.