[Fedora-sparc] Interesting problem with MD array creation

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Tue Mar 23 07:01:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-23 at 06:06 +0100, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:

> I had an interesting problem at some point in time with this setup where
> silo and raid were not playing nicely together.

It'll depend upon which of the 3 different superblock types you have in
use (whether it is using the boot block for its data) - please see my
kernelpodcast.org for a summary of the issues.

> As workaround I used to add an empty partition at the beginning of the
> disk (the smallest size as possible - basically just a padding
> partition) on both RAID-1 disks and start using the disk for real from sdX2.

Or you can just begin a partition not at 0. I do a similar thing on my
Fedora 12 alpha Utra 5 in order to avoid any potential hiccups.

Jon.