[Fedora-spins] [spin-kickstarts] Start size reduction

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Sat Aug 21 03:33:58 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:32:11 -0500
>> Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Syslinux upstream has the perl dep fixed.  It just needs to be
>>> patched in Fedora or a new release used.
>>
>> The new one is in f15... we just need to get it pushed to f14.
>>
>> koji latest-pkg dist-f15 syslinux
>> Build                                     Tag                   Built by
>> ----------------------------------------  --------------------  ----------------
>> syslinux-4.02-1.fc15                      dist-f15              pjones
>>
>> However:
>>
>> [root at thulsadoom ~]# rpm -q syslinux
>> syslinux-4.02-1.fc15.x86_64
>> [root at thulsadoom ~]# rpm -q syslinux --requires | grep perl
>> /usr/bin/perl
>> perl(Crypt::PasswdMD5)
>> perl(Cwd)
>> perl(Digest::SHA1)
>> perl(Errno)
>> perl(Fcntl)
>> perl(IO::Handle)
>> perl(MIME::Base64)
>> perl(Socket)
>> perl(bytes)
>> perl(integer)
>>
>> Was the intention to split out a syslinux-perl package? or ?
>
> I suspect Peter missed that there's a duplicate of the tool, and kept
> the perl version in, instead of the new C version, and thus those are
> all picked up by the auto dep finder.

There are actually several additional perl programs provided by
syslinux which keeps pulling in perl.
./usr/bin/sha1pass:#!/usr/bin/perl
./usr/bin/pxelinux-options:#!/usr/bin/perl
./usr/bin/syslinux2ansi:#!/usr/bin/perl
./usr/bin/lss16toppm:#!/usr/bin/perl
./usr/bin/ppmtolss16:#!/usr/bin/perl
./usr/bin/mkdiskimage:#!/usr/bin/perl
./usr/bin/keytab-lilo:#!/usr/bin/perl
./usr/bin/md5pass:#!/usr/bin/perl

Does syslinux call these directly?  If not, can we move them to a
-perl subpackage?