[Fedora-spins] Board SWG questions for Spins Owners

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 23:00:04 UTC 2010

Christoph Wickert (christoph.wickert at googlemail.com) said:
> > The first is a policy issue that could be redressed. The second is
> > unlikely to change (and would imply you'd be signing up to write your
> > own if you didn't want to use anaconda/firstboot, which I can't imagine
> > is what you want), and the third probably requires patch submissions.
> >
> > (Note: due to the requirements for a window manager at installation
> > time, anaconda may very well require metacity in the near future.)
>
> Why not a virtual provide and let the spin maintainers and users decide?
> In F12 we changed anaconda to use any display manager that has a virtual
> provides for "service(graphical-login)" instead of hardcoding a list of
> display managers. We should do the same for window manager.

anaconda, firstboot, and whatever would need a mechanism to start
random-window-manager of the day and adjust the configuration as needed.
If that's important to people, they should submit patches.

There's also have the requirement that the window manager used support
certain EWMH properties, although I suppose if you try and compose with
twm you get all the pieces.

> > What prevents you doing in in Fedora? Have you submitted a package
> > review, or an example spec?
>
> I cannot submit a package review because the files included in the
> package conflict with the current packages.

How so? Just package up some settings in the /etc/gconf.xml.system
directory.

Bill