[Fedora-spins] Creating a new Distro based on fedora

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 14:40:46 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 13:09:42 +0530,
>  narendra sisodiya <narendra at narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
>> I am developer from schoolos.org
>> right now it is a ubutnu based distro. I want to port all these things to
>> fedora.
>> I want help.
>> I want initial pointer.
>>
>> I want to create new fedora 13 based distro and here is my requirement
>>
>> * Based should be fedora 13
>> * Want to remove some packages
>> * Want to add lots of packages (you can view on schoolos.org)
>
> The above you can handle with a kickstart file. Typically you indicate some
> base kickstart file and provide a list of packages to add and remove.
> livecd-creator is a tool specific for live images.
> revisor allows you to rebuild install images and I think can also do
> live images.
>
>> * Changing all artwork like - logos, wallpaper, bootscreen, grub screen etc
>
> I don't know all of the answers here. There is a way to swap out the
> trademarked artwork for generic artwork. That doesn't get you custom artwork
> though. But it does let you get something to play with fairly quickly
> and you can make modified packages for artwork as you get time.

There are a few rules regarding building your own fedora remix.  Which
is a spin of fedora that has packages that are maintained outside of
Fedora.  Here's a video of a presentation I did back in 2009 at
LinuxFest NorthWest on how Fedora Remix works and how you can build
your own.

Here's the wiki page I site during the presentation:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Remix

Cheers,

Clint