[Fedora-spins] MIA spins

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed Jun 9 16:46:26 UTC 2010

Kevin Fenzi said the following on 05/30/2010 01:25 PM Pacific Time:
> ok. Let me start off by saying that I don't know if I have time/energy
> to be the spins wrangler, but I will step up to do it if we can't find
> any other interested parties. ;)
>
> (also note I am CC'ing John Poelstra on this email as he might have
> input on the schedule I talk about below).
>
> So, I would propose we mail fedora-devel-announce with a Job posting
> for 'spins wrangler' and see if we get an interested party stepping up
> to do the job. ;) If we don't in a week, I will step up to do it.
>
> I would also like to propose some changes to the Spins process:
>
> Our current process deals with accepting spins and getting review and
> approvals, etc. Once thats done it seems like we just say "ok, you're
> done, thanks for the ks file" and expect everything to go great. I
> don't think this is fair to our users or a good idea. I would like us
> to add:
>
> - each spin for the cycle MUST have a contact email(s) for maintainers
>    of that spin so we can contact them. (We could save this in a file in
>    spins-kickstarts, etc).
>
> - I think we should gateway any git commits to the kickstart files to
>    our mailing list for added visibility.
>
> - at some points in the development cycle we should REQUIRE a email or
>    ACK from the maintainer of each spin. "My spin composes and has been
>    tested by me or X others to work". This would include checking on
>    sizes, etc. I think this points are up for discussion, but It might
>    be nice to have them at: a week before Alpha, a week before Beta, at
>    RC time before go/nogo, etc.
>
> - I agree we should have hard dates added of things that the spins
>    wrangler and/or spins maintainers, and/or rel-eng need to do with
>    spins. Here's my rough take:
>
> 2010-06-01 - week after release, nightly composes start tracking
> rawhide
> 2010-06-21 - All spins from previous cycle have updated wiki pages.
> 2010-07-06 - Deadline for submission of spins.
> 2010-07-27 - Feature Freeze/All spins known for release Wrangler
> updates wiki/mails rel-eng/qa.
> 2010-07-27 - Spins wrangler requests bugzilla components for spins.
> 2010-08-03 - Alpha Change deadline - Go/No go from maintainers.
> 2010-09-07 - Beta Change deadline - Go/No go from maintainers.
> 2010-10-05 - Create spins-kickstarts package for release, branch git.
> 2010-10-05 - Spins ks Freeze. Only approved changes allowed.
> 2010-10-14 - RC Composes - Go/No go from maintainers.
>
> This is missing "Spin maintainers submit text and screenshots for
> spins.fedoraproject.org". When should that occur?
>
> - I would like to have our next meeting (which would normally be
>    tomorrow, but thats a holiday, so the following week) have a
>    retrospective and see if there are other things we can improve.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> kevin

I've created a formal version of this schedule here:
http://poelstra.fedorapeople.org/schedules/f-14/f-14-spins-tasks.html

I added additional milestones for more context.  Please let me know what
you would like to change, add, or remove.

-------------------

I would highly recommend considering and adding the following to enable
a smoother running Fedora 14 spins cycle compared to Fedora 13:

1) When testing will occur and for how long (through out)?

2) When you need Release Engineering to create the final spins?

3) When you plan to start test the final spins and for how long?

4) When Spins bittorrent files need to be created?

5) When final verification for final release day will be performed:
   --all the expected spins have been created
   --all the expected spins have been tested and work
   --bittorrent links work

6) Everything else that needs to be tracked and completed for a
successful Fedora 14.
   --File design/artwork requests?