[Fedora-spins] Urgent call for a spins SIG meeting

Gerard Ryan galileo at fedoraproject.org
Fri Dec 7 01:23:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 12:48:44AM +0000, Gerard Ryan wrote:
>On Wed, Dec 05, 2012 at 05:58:51PM -0700, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>>On 5 December 2012 17:25, Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at gmail.com> wrote
><snip>
>>>      * Java seems straight forward, except from the name. Some board
>>>        members expressed concerns about the name.  Java is a trademark
>>>        of Oracle and "Fedora Java" sounds like we were shipping our own
>>>        Java. The board recommends renaming it to something along the
>>>        lines of "Fedora Java Development" and asked legal for
>>>        clearance.
>>
>>In the past anything listed with Java software related got a cease and
>>desist or some other letter pretty darn quickly. I would worry a lot
>>too. JDK development or IcedTea development is probably going to be
>>more likely.
>>

>Originally we intended it to be "Fedora JBoss" instead of "Fedora
>Java", but we thought that the name might be a little limiting: most
>of the stuff there is useful for Java development, and some people
>might be put off by the thought of it being very JBoss specific. I
>think JDK development is probably fine, I'll point Dan to this
>conversation to see if he has any other suggestions.

So I spoke with Dan, and he suggested "Fedora JVM Spin". Does that
sound okay to everyone? This makes it clearer that it's a spin for
building for the JVM, rather than developing the JDK. We'll go with
that if there are no objections?

--
Gerard Ryan :: http://blog.grdryn.me :: @grdryn
AA11 A666 C98E B6D8 231C 11ED 6EDC 7E4A 62BC 4A15