[Fedora-spins] policy for systemd preset files for spins?

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 8 19:10:12 UTC 2012

See this ticket:

https://fedorahosted.org/fesco/ticket/945

  A spin preset (or whatever they're called) sounds like a reasonable idea.
  We seem to have procedures and guidelines for distro-wide defaults now
  (file bugs against systemd); do we have anything for presets that are
  local to spins (e.g. what numeric precedence they get, what they're
  called, etc.)? If not, what needs to happen to create them?

  This should be discussed, and a proposal brought forward.

  ----

  For background, this feature:
  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/PackagePresets

  We want something like 80-fedora-cloud.preset, but how do we ensure that
  '80' is the right number, and that it's okay to use "fedora-cloud" as the
  name?

  And, where should the contents of this file be stored and developed?

  The argument for not having cloud-init on by default seems to apply
  equally well to any "fedora-cloud-release" rpm containing a preset which
  activates that package — all we've done is added a layer of complication
  for the same result (install a package, get services activated).

  On the other hand, if we develop and distribute outside of RPM, how do we
  make it easy for people doing their own custom cloud images to get it?

Any opinions? Does the SIG want to maintain a registry? First come, first
serve?