Fedora Issues

ne... akabi at speakeasy.net
Mon Oct 20 19:53:35 UTC 2003

On Oct 20, 2003 at 11:01, Ed in a soothing rage wrote:

>I don't post often so bear with me.
>
>I am having serious problems with Fedora (every version, but now
>Beta3).  I just did a clean install of beta3 because I wanted a clean
>system.
>
>1. up2date just didn't work.  I gave up and tried yum.
>2. yum didn't work, ran for hours and kept popping up warnings about bad
>rpms.
But up2date and yum work fine. Make sure you have the most
recent versions. Check the list archives for various solutions
to this if you haven't already done so.

>I can live with package management now, but the thing that is killing me
>is that I can't compile a kernel-- ANY kernel.  Using gcc32, default
>configs from /configs directory, smp kernel, vanilla kernel from
>kernel.org, nothing will compile.  Everything fails with segmentation
>faults or other problems.  Has anyone compiled a stock RedHat kernel or
>vanilla kernel? How did RedHat compile them in the first place to create
>the binary RPMs?
As you know the configs from the /configs directory won't work
on a vanilla kernel from kernel.org. I note from other messages
in this thread that you do not overclock. I am not sure whether
exec-shield affects compiling. Look into it.

>Other problems with beta3:
>- X randomly locks up when screensaver kicks in.  I have to reboot.
Depending on the graf card you have, this has been known to happen
with the opengl screensavers. Try disabling them. I must say they
work fine on my Matrox G550.

N.Emile...
user to computer ration too low.
 15:45:19  up 57 days,  3:19,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00