Strange package dependency problem

Iain Rae iainr at zathras.org
Sun Mar 21 17:42:00 UTC 2004

seth vidal wrote:

>>>Something to keep in mind - if you're dealing with large numbers of
>>>systems and you're updating them from rawhide then you're asking for
>>>pain in general, not just b/c of the updating.
>>>

>>At work we're updating from redhat (they're mostly redhat9  boxes),
>>Fedora, freshrpms,,  vendor/project  supplied and homebrew rpms,  you
>>can learn to cope with certain levels of pain :)
>>We use a staging repository so nothing goes on completely blindly, but
>>the thought of updating hundreds of hosts by hand every night is about
>>as painful as the thought of telling them all to ignore errors.
>>

>you're updating to the development tree?

sorry, not quite sure what you're asking:

Are we updating whole machines to rawhide? no.
Do we pull indivdual (s)rpms out of rawhide? a small number yes, but
it's usually the last on the list before writing our own rpms from scratch.
Do we feed packages/patches/reports back into rawhide? the policy is we
should though It's left up to individual admins to do it for the
packages they're responsible for.