FC4t2 no good without LILO

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Thu Apr 14 22:47:42 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 16:39 -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-14-04 at 14:52 -0400, Paul Iadonisi wrote:

[snip]

> > ignore my test case is beyond me.  The characters 'LILO' still left
> > behind (as a remnant) after doing the grub-install has no bearing
> > whatsoever on whether or not grub was really installed.  I haven't
> > looked at the code, so I don't know why that is, but it most definitely
> > IS.
>
> I'm going to jump out on a limb here. Maybe it's because your test
> case *FAILED* to work for him. Just a guess, and I know I could be
> wrong, but at least I'll admit to it, can you!

  Oh, absolutely, and what makes you think I can't?  Nevermind, don't
answer that.  It's just that he hasn't said so either way.  He's only
reported on what he's seeing at the beginning of his boot block, not
what the actual results were (i.e.: what happens when he boots), other
than making the wild claim that lilo was chaining to grub on MY system
(even though I NEVER set it up to do that -- did it happen magically?  I
don't think so) as well as his, which I proved wrong for my system by
ZEROing the boot block first.  He hasn't (nor have you) produced one
shred of evidence that this new grub hasn't fixed software raid 1.  If
you do, fantastic!  But we are waiting for more people to test it.  I
only have so many machines, and really only one I can test this
particular problem on.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator