FUDCON hackfest - Building a fedora test plan

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Tue Jun 17 01:10:19 UTC 2008

James Laska said the following on 06/16/2008 12:12 PM Pacific Time:
> What were some areas in F9 that you felt could have used earlier/more
> attention?  Some examples might include (but not limited to):
>
>  * LiveCD
>  * NetworkManager
>  * Installation (near and dear for me :) )
>  * Fedora Spins?
>  * Selinux?
>  * PackageKit
>  * Laptop issues?
>
> I'll be hosting a hackfest session at FUDCON this week to discuss these
> focus areas for F10.  I'd be happy to come away with a handful of areas
> to target for collaborative test plans/case development.

I think this is a great idea.  It sounds like you are focusing
specifically on test plans for these areas?  Would these also result in
test matrices which are filled out before we release and potentially
block the release if broken?

One thing that I think is still lacking in our overall release criteria:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/ReleaseCriteria is a more detail
surrounding the desktop applications... for example here
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/ReleaseCriteria#Desktop.

Do we REALLY do complete "click-through" tests for every application?  I
don't think I've ever seen a test matrix created for this nor do I think
we want to create one.  I think it would be a better use of our time to
create a list of the more often used applications (perhaps via mugshot)
and add those to a matrix for specific testing.

Another thing we might want to brainstorm about at FUDCon is creating a
complete list of test matrices... including CD installs, live images,
etc. that we need for each release.  I think we overlooked some of these
during F9.  I think the idea of creating test plans and test cases
beyond just installation testing are a great step forward.

John