F13-Question: Cannot start a new yum immediately after an old "yum update" ends

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 6 18:09:54 UTC 2010

> On 04/03/2010 07:06 PM, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On 3 April 2010 14:20, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I agree, unless there is some technical reason that PackageKit needs
> >> to be called immediately following a yum command it would be great if
> >> it waited a while.
> >>
> > PK has to update the icon after performing some yum CLI actions. If
> > you do yum update in the console, and then we're still showing an icon
> > saying "104 updates" and the user then clicks the icon it then says
> > "No updates available". This would be a big bug.
> >
> Yes but the bug about annoying users by locking out yum is important
> too.   It is very likely that users will run yum commands in succession
> and PackageKit interferes with that and gets removed on the whole by
> many users at the moment.   It is better than Pirut but it is still very
> annoying.
>
> > You can remove PackageKit-yum-plugin if this bothers you, or change
> > the config file settings.
> >

> I think the out of the box experience should be better.

Since checking for updates is a read-only operation, does it actually
need to lock other operations out of the database? The worst I can think
could happen is the resulting information on available updates could be
slightly inaccurate, but if it's made a non-blocking operation it could
be done more frequently probably without anyone noticing, so even if it
winds up being slightly off for a bit, it would fairly quickly be fixed.