Flash plugins

Chris Campbell campbecg at cox.net
Sat Apr 10 18:42:32 UTC 2010

This probably isn't the best place to write this, but here it is anyway.
Flash is one of the most-used mediums these days. From humorous little
animations to full-fledged games, sites like Facebook have entire gaming
systems all using Flash code.

I am one of the volunteer triagers and I have been working on
Mozilla-related bugs for several months now. These bugs include Firefox,
Thunderbird, SeaMonkey and Epiphany, among other packages.

The two main Flash plugins most people use are Adobe's Flash Plugin and
SWFDEC. Our problems here are: Adobe's plug-in is binary only
(non-open-source), so when it breaks the using package (Firefox for
instance) there is no possibility of working on the break, since we have
no possibility of insight into the code. SWFDEC, according to the
package manager/triager Thomas K., is no longer supported upstream.
Therefor it's inclusion into Fedora will end with Fedora 12. It should
no longer be included in Fedora 13.

There are other attempts at open-source Flash, but non are really usable
at the moment.

So, I'm sending this out really to ensure that everyone is informed of
the issue, and to see if anyone has any suggestions for possible plugin
inclusion in the next generations of Fedora.

Chris