13 Beta netinst and live image sizes are bigger than ISO header size

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Thu Apr 22 21:18:09 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 06:20 -0400, Andre Robatino wrote:
> However, the 13 Beta netinst and live images are all bigger than they
> should be.  (This is the first time I've checked, so it may have been
> this way for a while.)  This will cause a checksum mismatch if an ISO is
> burned to a disc and then read off to verify the checksum, since the
> amount read off should always be what the ISO header indicates.  This
> could be dealt with in the future by truncating these images to the
> proper size (preferably by fixing whatever tool is being used to
> generate them).  The DVD and install images are all the correct size.  I
> also noticed that Fedora-13-Beta-source-DVD.iso is oversized (5198505984
> bytes), at least for a single-layer DVD.

I've seen the testing of a already burned iso fail for a number of
reasons, the iso header size is just one of them.  We embed a self check
(mediacheck) at least on the CD and DVD isos to work around this.  If
anything, I'd say this deserves a bug filed against mkisofs, and/or the
implantisomd5 application.  I'm not inclined to truncate isos.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!