yum skip broken

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Apr 26 02:46:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> On 04/26/2010 02:59 AM, drago01 wrote:
>> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 8:13 PM, cornel panceac <cpanceac at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> during the testing of f13/rawhide is often required to pass --skip-broken to
>>> yum. why isn't --skip-broken the default behaviour?
>>>
>> Well ideally we should not provide broken repos to begin with ...
>> fixing the fallout at the client side sucks.
>>

> We don't live in a ideal world.  Even if we do make our repos perfect,
> users will often run third-party repositories and it would be nice for
> the client to be tolerant of issues rather than bailing out.

Here's what we'd need to do -there are a couple of ways to do this:

option 1:
- run the test transaction and get back the errors
errors to the skip list.
- redepsolve and try it again

problems:
   - this means we're going to be rerunning some plugins again - especially
postresolve and pretrans
   - this also means we've downloaded a pkg we are not going to use
   - it's a fair bit of work

option 2:
- before the end of the depsolve we go through all the files from the
transaction and look if any of them are going to clash by filename/path.
If they are then we:
   - download the checksums of the remote files from a not-yet-existent-or-
even-defined-but-definitely-relatively-heavy metadata and see if the files
are the same or not.
   - If they are not the same and not allowed to overlap then we knock
those pkgs out of the transaction and try it all again
   - if they are the same or allowed to overlap then we continue as if
nothing happened

Obviously option 2 is more desirable b/c it is not as much of a break to
how yum does things but it means traversing a lot of files everytime which
is not cheap, not to mention the file checksum metadata which we do not
have currently.

-sv