Not Authorized (can't mount USB flash drive as normal user)

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 13 20:21:47 UTC 2010

Hi Steven,

first of all a big thanks for testing the LXDE spin so carefully.

Am Freitag, den 13.08.2010, 12:38 -0700 schrieb Steven I Usdansky:
> LXDE spin alpha RC4 x86_64.

When referring to LXDE, please mention LXDE in the subject so I don't
miss your mail in all the traffic on this list. You could also write to
the LXDE mailing list[1]. The list is very low traffic and I can take
care of all requests there.

> Boot into runlevel 3 as normal user
> Run startx to start an LXDE session
> Plug in USB flash drive - file manager appears
> Click on flash drive's entry to mount
> Error dialog appears with msg: Not Authorized
>
> How to fix?

You need to open a console-kit session for your user. You can do this by
calling ck-launch-session. Please try changing /etc/sysconfig/desktop
from

PREFERRED=/usr/bin/startlxde

PREFERRED="ck-launch-session /usr/bin/startlxde"

and tell me if it works. Unfortunately there is no documentation on
ConsoleKit available ATM, so

I have to admit that this case was not tested and I'm afraid other
desktops might have the same problem.

Regards,
Christoph